Kaduna State Government has denied complicity in the abduction of a government critic, Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata.
Dadiyata was abducted by yet to be identified assailants over a year ago. He was abducted from his residence in the Barnawa neighbourhood of the Kaduna metropolis.
He was returning home at about 1 a.m. when some armed men breached his home security and whisked him away in his BMW car, the state police said at the time.
It’s almost a year since that happened; neither he nor his car has been found.
In a statement on Monday by Aisha Dikko, the State Commissioner for Justice, the Kaduna State Government said it has no knowledge of Dadiyata’s whereabouts.
“The Kaduna State Ministry of Justice wishes to state emphatically that the Kaduna State Government has no idea of the whereabouts of or any involvement whatsoever in the reported abduction of Abubakar Idris Usman, also known as Dadiyata.”
“Anything to the contrary is a vile assertion that seeks to stretch the fact that he was abducted within Kaduna State to mean the involvement of the state government.”
“Every citizen that the state government has reason to suspect has been involved in incitement, injurious falsehood or criminal defamation has been appropriately charged before the courts and afforded due process.”
“The State Government has neither filed any complaint against Mr. Usman with the police nor has it instituted a suit against him before the court,” she said.
In the same statement, the government also explained its decision to prosecute some Nigerians and government critics whom it accuses of inciting violence and disturbance in the state. Some of those being prosecuted by the state include music producer Audu Maikori and a former human rights commission chief, Chidi Odinkalu, who had accused the state governor of falsehood and manipulating the courts in the state.
The state government explained its stance in response to allegations that Nasir El-Rufai, the governor, violates court orders and processes.
El-Rufai had earlier been invited to speak at the Nigerian Bar Association conference but his invitation was later withdrawn after some sections of the association kicked against it in protest against the governor’s alleged mishandling of some sensitive matters.
In her statement, the justice commissioner said the cases filed against the individuals were done by her ministry and its relevant departments and not by Mr El-Rufai.
“The cases mentioned in the NBA petition were filed by the Ministry of Justice as part of its statutory duty to enforce law and order. This rebuts the effort of the petitioners to personalise the functions of the government. As the responsibl
e agency, the Ministry of Justice wishes to refute the allegations and provide a factual update on the cases,” Ms Dikko wrote.