Anambra State Governor Willie Obiano on tuesTueshunned entreaties to attend the emergency security meeting of South-East governors in Enugu as neither he nor his deputy showed up at the parley.
The meeting was called to discuss the precarious security situation in the region.
Hosted by Enugu State Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, the meeting was atteyby thebgovernors of Ebonyi and Imo states, Dave Imagine and Hope Uzodimma, as well as the Abia State Deputy Governor, Oko Chukwu Ude.
Also present were a former Chief of Army Staff, Lt-Gen. Azubuike Ihejirika, former governors and National Assembly members from the region.
A former Nigerian Ambassador to Spain, Iyom Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, had on Monday appealed to Obiano to attend the meeting.
The ex-envoy, whose late husband, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, founded the All Progressives Grand Alliance that brought Obiano to power had said it was important for the Anambra State helmsman to be at the meeting due to the recent killings and mayhem in parts of the state.
Participants in the meeting were said to have observed a minute of silence in honour of Nigerians, especially those in the South-east, who have lost their lives because of the insecurity around the country.
Chike Akunyili, the husband of the late boss of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, Dora Akunyili, was brutally killed by gunmen in Anambra State a few days ago.
There is suspicion that the pro-Biafra group, IPOB, is responsible for Mr Akunyili’s killing, even though the group has denied its involvement.
Two days after the killing, some unidentified gunmen launched a deadly attack at a divisional police station in the state.
The agitation for an independent state, Biafra, championed by IPOB, has led to killings and destruction in the South-east region.
Anambra is scheduled to hold its governorship election on 6 November .
The South-east governors had agreed to set up a joint security outfit, Ebube Agu, to check the insecurity, but not much has been achieved in this regard in the different states in the region.
At the end of the meeting, the participants resolved as follows:
The Governors and leaders of the South East condemned the killings in the region and have agreed to join hands with security agencies to stop the killings;
2. The meeting condemned the sit-at-home orders, which are mostly issued by our people in the Diaspora who do not feel the pains. The meeting resolved that Governors and all people of the South East do everything within the law to ensure that there is no further sit-at-home in the South East and that people are allowed to freely move about in the Zone;
3. The meeting agreed that the South East Ebubeagu security outfit be launched in all the South East States and laws passed in various South East States before the end of 2021;
4. The meeting received the Committee report from Ohaneze on various matters affecting the South East, especially on the issue of security and marginalization of the South East people, and resolved to study the reports from Ohaneze Worldwide for immediate implementation, and engagement with the Federal Government for amicable settlement of all issues agitating the minds of our people, especially the youth;
5. The meeting agreed to support security agencies to restore peace in the South East;
6. The meeting resolved to support election in Anambra State and directed security agencies to ensure a peaceful election in Anambra State come November 6th, 2021.
7. The meeting commended all groups and the clergy for their efforts at interfacing with our youths;
8. The meeting mandated our clergy men, Bishops, CAN, Ohaneze and Traditional Rulers to continue to dialogue with our youths.”