Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones fight postponed

12

 

 

 

 

 

Jump directly to the content
talkSPORT
About talkSPORT
How to listen
Listen again
Live commentaries
Download the talkSPORT app NOW – the best way to listen live
talkSPORT podcasts
talkSPORT Predictor
talkSPORT schedule
News Corp
Dream Team
Harper Collins
New York Post
talkRADIO
The Australian
The Sun
The Sun Vouchers
The Times
Virgin Radio UK
Wall Street Journal
Wireless Group
Wireless Studios
Services
Advertise with us
Advertising specs
Brand guidelines
Competition rules
Contact us
Work for us
License content
Privacy policy
Terms of use
News Centre
Topics A-Z
Cookie Settings
talkSPORT
Search talkSPORT
Home
LISTEN LIVE
Fixtures
Football
Boxing
Transfers
Sport
Schedule/Catch Up
Podcasts
Selector
Shop
Competitions
All Sport
All Sport
Boxing
MMA
Wrestling
Basketball
Cricket
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Motorsport
Tennis
Horse racing
ON HOLD Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr exhibition fight ‘postponed’ – new date revealed
By Michael Benson
10th August 2020, 12:54 pm
Updated: 10th August 2020, 12:59 pm
Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr has reportedly been postponed until November 28.

The eight-round exhibition bout was originally announced for September 12 at the Dignity Health Sports Park in California.

However, it seems there has now been a change of plan.

Tyson is getting himself into fantastic condition for the event

5
Tyson is getting himself into fantastic condition for the event
According to Ring Magazine, Tyson vs Jones Jr will now take place on November 28, which is Thanksgiving weekend in America when millions of fans will be at home with their families.

READ  Barca capable of historic CL comeback, says Suarez

It’s claimed this is because Tyson’s team felt they could further maximise revenue by rescheduling the event.

A meeting is said to have been held between both camps, with Jones’ team agreeing to the move.

It’s understood the fight will still be at the same venue, likely still with no fans in attendance.

Jones Jr is a former pound-for-pound king

5
Jones Jr is a former pound-for-pound king
Andy Foster, executive director of the California State Athletic Commission, who are sanctioning the fight, previously told BoxingScene that there will be no judges scoring the fight and so no winner, unless there’s a knockout.

However this is absolutely not the plan.

Foster said: “We can’t mislead the public as to this is some kind of real fight.

“They can get into it a little bit, but I don’t want people to get hurt. They know the deal.

Mike Tyson releases incredible promo for comeback fight against Roy Jones Jr
“It’s an exhibition. They can exhibit their boxing skills, but I don’t want them using their best efforts to hurt each other.

“They’re going to spar hard, but they shouldn’t be going for a knockout. This isn’t a record-book type of fight.

“This is not world championship boxing right now. It’s not what this is. People shouldn’t be getting knocked out.

“The public can see what kind of shape Roy and Mike are still in.”

Tyson is the former undisputed heavyweight world champion

Tyson is the former undisputed heavyweight world champion
As part of the build-up, ‘Iron Mike’ is participating in a series of shows on social media app Triller, who will be broadcasting the $49.99 pay-per-view.

READ  WHO announces emergency tests for COVID-19

Tyson explained in the latest episode: “My ego’s f***ing with me and I’m saying, ‘N****, you think you fly? You ain’t s***. An amateur can get in here and kick your ass, you better get on top of your game. You want to get embarrassed in front of these f***ing people?’

“Then the other ego says, ‘F*** you n****, watch what I’m gonna do.’”

Tyson concluded by laughing, pointing to his head and saying: “You don’t know what goes on up here.”

Tyson is now 54 and fans will be eager to see if he still has the ferociousness that first won him the title in 1986

Tyson is now 54 and fans will be eager to see if he still has the ferociousness that first won him the title in 1986
In addition, ‘Iron Mike’ has also been pitting his wits against a Great White Shark in a duel that was dubbed ‘Rumble on the Reef’.

Tyson agreed to take part in filming for Discovery Channel’s ‘Shark Week, which has since aired and on the experience said: “I was scared all the way through and was just trying to get through it alive.

“I’m a scary guy but not when it comes to adventurous stuff.”

As well as getting in shape for Jones Jr, Tyson has been in the ocean tackling his fear of sharks

As well as getting in shape for Jones Jr, Tyson has been in the ocean tackling his fear of sharks

Many have raised concerns about the fight between 54-year-old ‘Iron Mike’ and 51-year-old Jones Jr.

READ  COVID-19: Lagos maintains lead as Nigeria records 779 new cases

But Tyson said: “My mentality is just what it’s always been.

“How do I say this? I’m an annihilator… Man for man I don’t think nobody can match me…

“I’m the greatest fighter since the conception of God, how could I not take this opportunity up?”

•Talksport