Kogi: IG, INEC chairman escape death as APC thugs attack SDP candidate


The Inspector-General of Police, Adamu Mohammed, and the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Mahmoud Yakubu, as well as national commissioners on Tuesday escaped death when policemen fired teargas at
a parley in the state capital, Lokoja, organised by the Independent National Electoral Commission for stakeholders in Saturday’s governorship election in Kogi State.

The policemen had countered thugs believed to be working for the All Progressives Congress who pushed the governorship candidate of the Social Democratic Party, Mrs. Natasha Akpoti, to the ground as she entered the hall.

The IGP and other dignitaries were teargassed by policemen who were trying to put down an uproar at the stakeholders’ meeting/signing of peace accord among political parties and candidates, organised by INEC.

The stakeholders’ meeting/signing of peace accord among political parties and candidates, organised by INEC, with senior police officers and loads of their well-armed men on standby, was almost disrupted when thugs used force to prevent Akpoti, from entering the venue of the event.

It was a rowdy situation for close to 20 minutes at the main entrance of the venue, where the two groups (those who wanted to bring the candidate in and those trying to prevent her entrance) struggled to gain control of the entrance.

However, as neither of the two groups yielded ground and would not listen to entreaties from security agents, policemen on duty fired a couple of teargas cans to disperse the contending groups, at the door.

The effect of the teargas spread into the hall, affecting all occupants, including the IGP, who was seen covering his nose.

However, while the fight was on and the whole place was in commotion, INEC continued with the business of conducting the peace accord signing, in which 17 political parties, including APC and the main opposition parties, led by the Peoples Democratic Party participated.

However, SDP opted out of the peace accord following the attack on their candidate.