Hackers force Twitter to shut thousands of accounts






Twitter on Wednesday night locked down thousands of verified accounts after hackers attacked a large number of accounts.

The hackers targeted its employees with access to passwords and personal details of accounts and compromised many handles, Twitter said.

The hackers used social engineering techniques to post messages on behalf of the owners of various “highly visible” handles.

The lockdown prevented owners of verified accounts from tweeting.

Though it did not give full details of the breach, there are fears that it may have hit financial transactions especially in Bitcoin.

The tweets below:

“We are aware of a security incident impacting accounts on Twitter. We are investigating and taking steps to fix it. We will update everyone shortly.

“We detected what we believe to be a coordinated social engineering attack by people who successfully targeted some of our employees with access to internal systems and tools.

“We know they used this access to take control of many highly-visible (including verified) accounts and Tweet on their behalf. We’re looking into what other malicious activity they may have conducted or information they may have accessed and will share more here as we have it.

“Once we became aware of the incident, we immediately locked down the affected accounts and removed Tweets posted by the attackers.

We also limited functionality for a much larger group of accounts, like all verified accounts (even those with no evidence of being compromised), while we continue to fully investigate this.

This was disruptive, but it was an important step to reduce risk. Most functionality has been restored but we may take further actions and will update you if we do.

We have locked accounts that were compromised and will restore access to the original account owner only when we are certain we can do so securely.

Internally, we’ve taken significant steps to limit access to internal systems and tools while our investigation is ongoing. More updates to come as our investigation continues.”