Banker kills self after borrowing N3m for wedding


A banker identified as John Ikoanaxhi has killed himself by drinking Sniper insecticide after a marriage he borrowed N3 million to contract collapsed..

The tragic incident involving the man, an indigene of Kogi State, identified as John Okpanachi, was said to have occurred in Kaduna State, where he resided with the newly-wed wife of just two months, also from the state.

But the catch is that the marriage, which lasted for two months was consummated at a wedding in which the deceased was said to have gone into a bank debt for N3million to conduct.

Micheal Okpanach, who gave an54account of the incident, narrated how a note found beside his corpse inside his sitting room revealed that he committed suicide, when he could no longer bear the backlash of the apparently loveless union, which he took a bank loan to consummate.

The deceased, a resident of Sabo area along Refinery Road in Kaduna before his death, was said to have come from Ofu local government area while his wife, reportedly hailed from Ankpa area both of Kogi.

Michael further stated that John’s marriage hit the rocks after the wedding, narrating how his brother had on many occasions called him to report how the wife was trying to turn him into a house boy, an attempt he said his brother resisted.

He disclosed that the marriage finally came to an ended when the deceased ex-wife pulled him out of a car he was driving on a busy street of Kaduna, on the ground that the car is a wedding gift from her father, claiming her husband has no right to drive the car without her approval.

READ  Saraki Sacks 90 Aides

Michael further disclosed that his younger brother, John who was angry with the development in his home terminated the marriage two months after the wedding and did not come out of the trauma until he committed suicide.

John who committed suicide on Tuesday morning according to the elder brother drank a poisonous chemical suspected to be a sniper and was seen when his neighbours forced open his door when they did not see him until 1:00 pm.

He added that his dead body has been deposited in a mortuary while the family is preparing to take him back to Ofu for burial.

There was no comment from the police.