Prince Charles, the first Royal Family member to test positive for coronavirus, is “in good health” as he self-isolates at home in Scotland with Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, “who does not have the virus”, says Clarence House.
The Prince of Wales, 71, has had a “high number of engagements” in recent weeks and it is “not possible to ascertain” where he caught the virus, his spokesman said.
Charles – who has since spoken to his mum the Queen and sons William in Norfolk and Harry in Canada – is the first Royal Family member to be diagnosed with Covid-19, and he falls within one of the highest risk categories given his age.
Clarence House said he “otherwise remains in good health” and has been working from home over the last few days despite catching the potentially deadly illness.
Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, has tested negative for coronavirus and is self-isolating at Birkhall in Scotland along with her husband, although they are apart from each other at the residence.
Charles last saw the Queen after an investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace on March 12, and she was in “good health” at Windsor Castle on Wednesday, a spokesperson said.
The 93-year-old monarch and her two corgis left her central London residence for Windsor last Thursday, a week earlier than usual for Easter, and is following social distancing guidelines with Prince Philip, 98.
Charles’ positive test, meanwhile, was carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire in Scotland, where he had been at Highgrove before going to Birkhall on Sunday.
Six staff members are self-isolating as well.
A Clarence House spokesman said: “He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.
“The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus.
“In accordance with Government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.
“The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.
“It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks.”
The prince travelled to Birkhall on Sunday and he was tested on Monday.
The source said the prince and the duchess remained in good spirits, and Charles was up and about and not bedridden.
Medical advice is that it is unlikely to escalate into a more serious case.
Charles has spoken to his sons the Duke of Cambridge and the Duke of Sussex, as well as the Queen.
There were fears for the Queen when Clarence House announced that Charles had tested positive.
A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said: “Her Majesty The Queen remains in good health.