By Tunde Oguntola, Abuja
As the October 1, 2017 ultimatum issued to Igbo’s residing in the north draws nearer, the chief security officer to the former Head of State, Major Hamza Al-Mustapha has called for peace and unity, saying that the quit notice would not be implemented.
This is even as the former chief security officer averred that the country remains one indivisible nation, adding that a national summit will be convened before October 1st to resolve the crisis.
Speaking when the leadership of the Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Youth Council, Worldwide, paid him a courtesy visit in Abuja at the weekend, Al-Mustapha assured that no life would be lost or property destroyed on or before the deadline and that the federal government is not in support of the ultimatum.
Describing the summit as a child of necessity, he acknowledged that the meeting had become very necessary.
He noted that efforts by well-meaning Nigerians is also on going to get the matter fixed.
“A county that has witnessed war, experienced insurgency, tasted sabotage of all kinds and also suffering from countless of issues affecting the growth of the nation, it is on the shoulders of the younger once to sit down and think that there is one simple platform that can stitch these and it is called unity.
“On our own and out of share concern, it is our believe that our fathers in the South East, elders of thought, opinion leaders, youth associations some of us have taken it upon ourselves to discuss and canvass,” he said.
He stated further that in the spirit of Nnamdi Azikiwe whose broad mindedness did not restrict him on the unity of the country and was subsequently refered to as the ‘Zik’ of Africa.
Al-Mustapha said that when today’s leaders are busy talking over issues that in the spirit of Zikism but considered minor then something is really wrong with us and there is a need for us to dialogue and think.
“If you must seat on the round table at the end of the day, then why go to fight,” he said.
Earlier in his address, the national president, Ohanaeze Nidigbo Youth Council, Worldwide, Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro noted that the council has so far dialogue with various stake holders in the north, adding that the Igbo people are seeking for referendum but noted that sequel to the quit notice given to the Igbo people, there is need to douse the tension.
“Our investment in 19 Northern States is worth over N44trillion, and we have contributed a lot for the unity of this country,” he said.
He, however, noted that the agitation raging in the south east for a referendum was borne out of the fact that the youths have chosen to take their destiny in their hands and that the call for restructuring is a call from failed leadership.
“As the leadership of youths, we are the bridge between those seeking for referendum and the seeking for restructuring. Igbos has contributed a lot in this country.
“It would interest you to note that the highest unemployment rate in Nigeria is among the Igbo population, the Igbo youth and that has fueled the course for the agitation.” he added.
The post Quit Notice: Al-Mustapha Sues For Peace, To Convene National Summit appeared first on leadership.ng.
By Tunde Oguntola, Abuja